Appeal for help: Karen Fraser, centre, fronts the media.

Missing Persons Squad detectives are investigating a new lead in the 2009 disappearance of Krystal Fraser.

A $1 million reward was announced on Wednesday for information relating to the suspected homicide.

Krystal was last seen on June 20, 2009 in Pyramid Hill and was nine months pregnant at the time of her disappearance.

Detective Acting Inspector Julian Horan said a person who phoned Krystal from a public phone booth in Leitchville at 11.59pm on the night of her disappearance holds the key to solving this mystery.

“We are looking at all persons of interest and acquaintances of Krystal,” Det. Insp. Horan said.

“We have been able to eliminate some of those people from having made the calls from the phone box, but we don’t know for certain who has made that phone call,” he said.

A 61-year-old man was last year questioned in relation to Krystal’s disappearance but has since been exonerated, Det. Insp. Horan said.

On the day of her disappearance, Krystal was a patient of Bendigo Hospital and believed she was in labour.

She decided to discharge herself, against medical advice, and boarded a V/Line train from Bendigo to Pyramid Hill, arriving at approximately 8.40pm.

A party in Cohuna was the reason Krystal was eager to be discharged, with police unsure if there was ever a party in  Cohuna, or whether she was lured to the town under false pretences.

Krystal was last seen leaving a property at Albert Street, Pyramid Hill at approximately 9.30pm on June 20, 2009 after visiting an acquaintance.

The last phone activity from Krystal’s phone showed activity on a Leitchville phone tower at 2.49am.

Her mobile phone remains missing, as Krystal’s family desperately search for answers.

Krystal’s mother Karen said she had a heart of gold, but was very naive.

“People took advantage of her and unfortunately this is what’s happened,” Ms Fraser said.

“The last 10 years have been miserable. This has destroyed my family. I just take each day as it comes,” she said.

Det. Insp. Horan said that he suspects the person who might have been the father to Krystal’s son was having a secret relationship with her.

“This might explain why they are using a phone booth to communicate with Krystal,” he said.

Krystal’s family remain desperate for closure and have more questions than answers as to her disappearance.

“I know as much today as I did then. That she just disappeared into thin air,” Ms Fraser said.

“Most people if they lose a loved one have time to prepare. I’ve got nothing. I don’t even know where she is,” she said.

Krystal was last seen wearing an orange top, black track suit pants and a camouflaged-patterned baseball cap.

Anyone with information about the disappearance of Krystal Fraser is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit